Are you looking for a used vehicle but don’t know where to start? Buying used is a great way to get the most bang for your buck if you know what to look for! Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure you are getting the best deal on a used vehicle.
1. Making a budget. In order to start your research you need to know the price range you are working within to set clear boundaries for your search. On many used car websites you can adjust cost value within your own budget. This helps you narrow down and give you more realistic options.
2. Do your research. What exactly are you looking for? A snow car? Daily driver? Towing? Highest gas mileage? Start with deciding what kind of car and for what reason, and then filter down your options from there. There is no secret that some car brands are more reliable than others. If you are looking for reliability we recommend Toyota, Honda, or Subaru.
3. Car History. Once you find a couple cars within your budget and practicality, check the car history. Check the maintenance records, accident records, or any other issues that could affect the way it drives. You can usually get a car history report from Carfax or AutoTrader, but you may need to ask the direct owner for the maintenance records. The last thing you want is to feel good about a purchase to have the car break down weeks later.
4. Get the vehicle inspected. Why not? It is better to be safe than sorry. This is a small cost compared to fixing something you could have spotted earlier. We offer pre purchase inspections just for this reason. If you are looking for a second opinion – you can book an appointment here https://www.accurateautomotiveinc.com/appointments
5. Negotiate. If you want to get the best price, then you can’t be afraid to negotiate a price. Use the car against itself and take miles, possible maintenance issues, future fixes, or car year all into account to agree on a fair price. Kelly blue book can give you a rough estimate on the car year, model, and condition. But ultimately its up to you to inspect the car and make a decision or get a 2nd opinion.
6. Finalize. Once a price is agreed on, it’s time to finalize the purchase. Make sure you have all the necessary documents such as the title.
If you can follow these 6 steps, you can feel confident that you are getting the right car for you at a fair price. This may take some effort… but it is worth it and will save you up to thousands of dollars!